*** UPDATE *** The fix has been added to the 5.1.2 release that is now GA. Read the release notes for other fixes here… https://www.vmware.com/support/vcd/doc/rel_notes_vcloud_director_512.html
While setting up and testing a couple new vApp Templates for a new organization I noticed an issues when capturing to the catalog and using IP Pool for IP addressing of the VM’s. vApps deployed from the new vApp Templates where not pulling an address from our IP Pool setup within our External Network. I messed around with the VM inside the vApp I used to capture the vApp Template from. I thought it had something to do with the new UDEV stuff in RHEL 6. It looked correct so I tested by converting it to a Template within vCenter and doing a Guest Customization deployment from it. The VM was working correctly. We are currently on version 22.214.171.1240718
I finally looked closer at the vApp Template and noticed the NIC for the VM was set to DHCP instead of IP Pool.
I checked some vApp Templates I’d captured while on vCD 1.5.0 and they were OK. I checked another from when we were on 1.5.1 and they were set to DHCP so something changed at that point. We don’t use these templates very often and weren’t on vCD 1.5.1 very long so no one complained.
Doing a quick search I came across this post on the communities page. There’s a SQL query to find the NIC for the VM inside the vApp Template based on Catalog and vApp Template name. I had 11 templates to update so I modified it to use variables for the catalog and template name.
DECLARE @Catalog varchar(80)
DECLARE @vAppTemplate varchar(80)
SET @Catalog = 'catalogName'
SET @vAppTemplate = 'templateName' -- May need % at the end in case vApp Template was copied/moved. May get multiple returns though so be careful.
select nic.nic_id, nic.mac_address, nic.ip_addressing_mode from network_interface as nic inner join vapp_vm as vm on nic.netvm_id = vm.nvm_id where svm_id=(select svm_id from vapp_vm where vapp_id=(select entity_id from catalog_item where name like @vAppTemplate and catalog_id=(select id from catalog where name = @Catalog)))
When running the above query you should get the following output:
Change the last line of the code to the following and run again.
update network_interface set ip_addressing_mode = 1 where nic_id = (select nic.nic_id from network_interface as nic inner join vapp_vm as vm on nic.netvm_id = vm.nvm_id where svm_id=(select svm_id from vapp_vm where vapp_id=(select entity_id from catalog_item where name like @vAppTemplate and catalog_id=(select id from catalog where name = @Catalog))))
It should update 1 row. If you run the original query again and look at the NIC properties of the VM within the vApp you will now see the following:
Deployments will now pull from IP Pool as intended.
Per to communities post above there is a hotfix coming out soon for those who submit an SR. Otherwise it will be fixed in the next maintenance release.